Bless you A&E, bless you. Duck Dynasty is a refreshing new reality series packed with humor and simple livin’. The show is about the Robertsons, a Louisiana bayou family living the American Dream as they operate a thriving business while staying true to their lifestyle and good ole fashion family values. Their multimillion dollar duck call empire known as Duck Commander is run by Willie (CEO) with the help of his brother Jase.
These self proclaimed “Rich Rednecks” are the kings of the quagmire. Their duck calls are famous world wide and Willie has taken the family business to the next level. Now it hasn’t been without its challenges. Their business employs half their neighborhood as well as family members and that scenario has its ups and downs. As Willie puts it, “Being a redneck millionaire has its perks, including new trucks, gadgets, and swanky suits, working with kin can be… a headache.”
Now there is gre-aaaaaaaat debate about our favorite Robertson. Each one has their own strengths, personality, work ethic and sense of humor. It would be like askin’ a proud parent of 6 to pick their favorite child. Can’t do it but we can “LEAN” in a certain direction when push comes to shove. We would be hard pressed to pick “A” favorite but we will give you a quick look at each of the main members and let you decide.
Willie Robertson (CEO) – Willie has his work cut out for him. As the only one with a business degree he was able to take the company from a living room operation down by the river to a premier, multimillion dollar, global brand. He’s a prankster but he is also focused and committed to taking Duck Commander as far as the stars.
WORDS OF WISDOM
- “Every action in life begins with a decision and unfortunately we don’t always make the best ones”
- “I didn’t get the sophisticated gene in this family I STARTED the sophisticated gene in this family!“
- “Having a daughter is nerve wracking. There’s gators everywhere and those gators are 14 year old boys.”
Jase Robertson – Jase is dang proud to be the polar opposite of his brother Willie. The thought of working behind a desk all day, answering calls and sending e-mails baffles him. Why work inside behind a desk when you can be out in the swamp? Jase’s motto says it all. “Only 3 things matter: God, family, then ducks.”
WORDS OF WISDOM
- “There is a thin line between a mallard hen’s quack and a human’s fart. The only difference is cadence and odor.“
- “Having your brother as a boss is a lot like dating your cousin…it’s a bit weird.”
- “In the south, roadkill is a redneck’s paycheck”
- “There’s nothing worse than waking up and realizing you’re in your brother’s urine.”
- “If you’re too busy to duck hunt, you’re too busy.”
- “Willie has way too much facial hair to rise to the next level in society.”
- “There’s a fine line between insanity and coping with your daughter dating.”
Phil Robertson (Patriarch) – Phil is the glue that holds the Robertson clan together. He is literally a living legend in Louisiana and is better known by his alias, “The Duck Commander.”
Here is a little known fact about good ole’ Phil. He played first-string quarterback ahead of football star Terry Bradshaw at Louisiana Tech University in the ’60s. They were both drafted into the NFL but Phil turned it down because it interfered with duck season! (Yes, he is and always has been REALLY committed to ducks!) Phil went on to create the Duck Commander duck call in 1973 and the rest is history. Duck hunting is so important to Phil that he follows a strict routine of no showering, no shaving, and no clothes washing of ANY kind during the ten-week season to ensure a bountiful haul. The only ‘grey’ with Phil is in his beard. The man is straight up black and white. He calls it like he sees it and that is why he is so beloved by family and friends. He is chock- full of PHIL-osophies and all of them are gems. Listen closely and you just may learn something.
WORDS OF WISDOM
- The first prerequisite of marrying a woman is ‘can she cook’ and if that doesn’t stack up then ‘Adios Amigos’.
- “Ducks are a lot like women…they don’t like mud on their butts.“
- “She may be an ugly woman but she if cooks squirrel and dumplins, that’s the woman you go after.”
- “The more make-up a woman wears the more she’s tryin to hide. Make-up can hide a lot of evil.”
Si Robertson (Phil’s Brother) – Si is a Viet Nam vet (thank you for your service sir) and he is Phil’s brother, best friend and partner in crime. Now Si can tell a tale and ALL of them are tall. He also has an addiction problem. Ice Tea. Si ALWAYS has a blue mug of ice tea with him. ALWAYS. Supposedly his Mother sent him the blue mug while he was in Viet Nam and thirty years later he still carries it around in his back pocket. It is the only cup he drinks from. Oh, and he says “Hey” a LOT!
WORDS OF WISDOM –
- “Today with computers, if you’re dating some little old girl, you can’t even smell her, girls smell nice.”
- “You can’t spell squirrel without ‘si’, and that’s me.”
Personally I would LOVE to see the guys participate in MOVEMBER and compete against each other to see who could raise the most money for male cancer initiatives. Given how much these boys love their beards I don’t see it happening anytime soon but I think they could raise a TON of money for a great cause and give us some great programing in the process. (You can always grow them back!)
If you like beards, headbands, rednecks, camouflage, eating squirrels and frogs, blowing things up, ice tea, duck hunting, have a hatred for the furry buck-toothed destroyer known as the ‘beaver’ and you love good home cookin’ then search no further. Duck Dynasty is your one stop shop for entertainment that would make even a Louisiana alligator laugh out loud. Bottom line…the show is “Duckin’ hilarious!” (Blurppy is trademarking that saying!)
Trust us, you WILL like it once you watch it. I am proud to say “I’m addicted to Duck Dynasty!” There, that felt pretty good. Head on over to A&E on Wednesday nights and give this crew a try. Pretty soon you will be eatin frog legs,shootin ducks, wearing camo and growing out your facial hair.