Yep, read that title again and let it sink in. We may be a bit presumptuous in calling it “the most popular game on the planet” but just give it time. It will pass Minecraft and Angry Birds… just wait and see. As we speculated LAST year and as we TEASED just the other day, there has been a MARVEL-OUS addition to the Disney Infinity Universe. Today, at a Disney Infinity press event, Marvel, game developer Avalanche and Disney announced what fans have been waiting for, “Disney Infinity 2.0 – Marvel Super Heroes.” Give the official trailer a watch and see if you can pick out some ADDITIONAL characters that will be coming soon…..
Don’t freak out! Good news is that all 2.0 characters, Power Discs, and Toy Boxes will be compatible with Disney Infinity 1.0. Now for the goodies, 2.o will start off with 80 new power discs as well as both Marvel and other Disney-themed characters. Along with new discs comes new features such as team-ups! Yes! Mr Incredible and Hulk can now SMASH The new discs will allow you to add costumes, Area of Effect attacks new weapons, vehicles and sky and terrain customizations. Here is a nice breakdown for you.
- World War Hulk – Customize your landscape to make it look as if Hulk went on a smashing rampage
- World War Hulk Sky – Turn your blue skies green with this Hulk themed power disc
- Stark Tech – Deck out your Toy Box compliments of Tony Stark. Unlock the Stark Industries Tech theme with upgraded Hologram Readout Tech ability
- View from the Suit – Ever wonder what it’s like to see the world from inside Iron Man’s helmet? Check out the Hologram Readout Tech upgrade and unlock Stark Industries “View from the Suit”
- Marvel Manhattan (including Avengers Tower) is the new setting, and it will be 4x larger than “The Incredibles” play set.
- Hydra Motorcycle – Take Hydra’s Motorcycle for a spin. Sidecar included
- Lola – Need a ride? Unlock this Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. hover car
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Containment Truck – Contain enemies and protect civilians with this S.H.I.E.L.D. truck
- Falcon’s Wings – You’ll be soaring when you put on Falcon’s Wings
- The Avenjet – Hop on board the Avenjet for a speed boost in your Toy Box
- Marvel Team-Ups and Costumes
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier Strike – Send down a missile strike from above. Your enemies will need to take cover
- Marvel Team Up: Winter Solder – Team up with the Winter Soldier and catch your enemies in the crossfire
- Marvel Team Up: Iron Patriot – Hit them hard, hit them fast, hit them everywhere! Iron Patriot reporting for duty
- Stark Arc Reactor – Try the Mark 42 on for size! Unlock Iron Man’s black and white special edition Guardians of the Galaxy armor with added boom!
- Sentinel of Liberty – Expand your Super Hero wardrobe with Captain America’s World War II costume and original shield!
- Gamma Rays – Time to get old school and unlock the Original Grey Hulk costume with added smash!
Here is the official synopsis: “Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes” will take players deep into the Marvel Universe with classic characters and original storylines — all while offering players more opportunity for unprecedented freedom and endless possibilities to create new adventures. Players use real-world interactive Marvel figures to activate original story lines (Play Sets) in the Disney Infinity virtual game worlds of some of Marvel’s most popular franchises.
- In the Play Set — penned by award-winning Marvel comic writer Brian Michael Bendis — players will be able to take on the role of more than 20 Marvel character, including Captain America, Black Widow, Thor, Hulk, and Hawkeye, as they battle enemies, complete challenging missions, solve puzzles, and ultimately save the world from destruction.
Featuring an enhanced Toy Box mode, “Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes” will introduce new structured, franchise-themed adventures that players can customize and play using any in-game character from across the Disney Infinity universe. Fans will also have hundreds of Marvel-themed items, locations, props, and characters at their disposal to create their own stories or even re-create their favorite comic book moments.
Brian Michael Bendis said, “This game could do for this generation what comics did for us,” he said. That’s a pretty bold statement coming directly from one of THE premier comic book companies of the past 75 years. The game will launch this fall on all previous platforms including Wii U, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, and mobile as well as Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
All new heroes… all new bad guys… all new vehicles… all new toy boxes… all new possibilities. The only thing that could be better than this game is…. well a Star Wars version. Wait a second….isn’t there a new Star Wars movie coming out next Christmas? Hmmmmm…. I don’t need The Force to predict what happens next….
Follow Disney Infinity on TWITTER to stay up to date on EVERYTHING 2.o related!